Pinnacle Foods Group LLC
SR. SAFETY MANAGER
At Pinnacle Foods we are at the top of our game and the key to our success is clear. Everything we do is driven by our purpose: unleashing brand potential, dynamically evolving and improving our already beloved products to bring more convenience, taste, nutrition, and joy to today's consumers.
The results* Our well-recognized products are found in 85% of American households and are leaders in their respective categories, holding the #1 or #2 market share position in 10 of the 14 categories in which we compete and we're just getting started. We are committed to adding value through strategic growth that synergizes our portfolio of \\Leadership\\ and \\Foundation\\ brands and plays to our strengths in R&D, consumer insights, and senior management experience.
SCOPE OF POSITION:
The Sr. Manager, Safety directs the development, implementation and maintenance of comprehensive Safety management systems for Pinnacle Food Group facilities. The position provides leadership, mentoring, technical expertise and objective oversight necessary to create site capability to achieve company goals and objectives for Safety and Sustainability performance and ensure compliance with all applicable Safety policies and regulations. The position is a part of a company Safety team, contributing to projects and initiatives for the benefit of all sites and leads one of the three Pinnacle Safety Technical Competency Centers: Programs, Behavioral Safety or Sustainability.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Provides leadership, guidance, training and mentoring to sites necessary to create a proactive culture of risk management and capability to identify and manage EHS risks to prevent incidents;
* Leads the development and implementation of systems and programs to ensure sites are in compliance with applicable Safety regulations and requirements, and company policies and procedures;
* Analyzes site consumption of natural resources and utilities, generation of waste, and the real and potential impact of site operations on the local community and environment to lead and assist in the development and implementation of strategic plans necessary to improve the operational sustainability of sites;
* Provides training and mentoring to site supervisors, managers and management personnel to lead proactive Safety efforts in their area of responsibility;
* Provides training, mentoring and direct assistance to site management personnel to build site capability to analyze incidents for root causes and contributing factors, also providing quality assurance and oversight to draft incident and root cause analysis reports prior to submission to Pinnacle leadership;
* Serve as an EHS technical expert and resource to sites with proficiency in all relevant Safety and Sustainability issues as necessary;
* Leads one of the three Safety Technical Competency Centers: Programs, Behavioral Safety or Sustainability for the group;
* Be a technical expert and provide compliance specifications/recommendations to Engineering & Maintenance Resources on Safety and Sustainability matters;
* Ensures accurate and timely Safety recordkeeping and document management for assigned sites including the review and submission of periodic reports to regulatory agencies;
* Provides oversight of records and reports required by the Company and regulatory agencies including the OSHA 300 log and injury records;
* Lead and/or assist with site emergency planning, preparedness and response activities;
* Provides oversight and management review of site emergency programs (e.g., assist with site level drills and review of effectiveness);
* Interface with regulatory and public sector Safety authorities as appropriate;
* Oversees sites Process Safety Management (PSM) programs for ammonia refrigeration as appropriate;
* Provides oversight of site management of regulatory requirements and provides technical expertise for pollution controls systems, processes and controls such as water and wastewater treatment plants, air pollution control devices, and waste management;
* Leads company Safety audits, Process Hazard Analyses (PHAs) and other elements of site PSM programs integral to site Safety performance;
* Oversee site industrial hygiene programs and activities necessary to ensure a safe workplace and minimize worker exposure;
* Interview site management personnel and line employees to assess hazard and risk control knowledge and competency, and effectiveness of site Safety programs;
* Provide support to and periodic participation in site Safety committees;
* Participate in annual budget development process with respective facility managers and corporate managers;
* Provide expertise and oversight of site security programs and systems;
* Work with site Engineering & Maintenance Resources to resolve issues identified during Loss Prevention/Risk Management inspections.
* No direct reports, dotted line reporting with site EHS personnel;
* Provides oversight and performance management input towards the management of site EHS Supervisors, Nurses, Hourly Safety Representatives, Contracted Services (ergonomist, etc.), EHS Administrative Assistants and Internship employees;
* Responsible for working with the company EHS Team to assist in the development and implementation of corporate EHS initiatives, strategies and programs;
* Responsible for working with Human Resources, Workers Compensation, Legal, Security, Engineering, R&D, IT, Quality, and all of Supply Chain;
* Peer relationships include other Pinnacle Foods management and executive personnel;
* This position requires regular attendance and punctuality in accordance with company policies. Additionally, the ability to interact well with other employees and work overtime, as necessary, is required.
* On average, 75% travel is required.
* Leadership skills necessary to drive evolution of the company and site Safety culture to be proactive towards risk identification and management, capable of zero incidents;
* The role must be able to handle crisis situations professionally. It may involve working in confined spaces and/or high places;
* The role requires contact and communication with government agencies, non-government organizations (NGO s) and the community; communication with senior management, Company legal department and Corporate Affairs;
* This position may require work/maintenance coverage beyond the normal hours, shift, and on weekends/holidays;
* Strong communication, both written and verbal;
* Dynamic training and presentation skills;
* Causal and Behavioral Analysis;
* Leading Change and Change Management;
* Influencing Others;
* Driving for Results;
* Creating the new and different;
* Complex Decision Making.
* Candidate minimum qualifications:
* Must be knowledgeable of Safety regulations including but not limited to: OSHA and EPA
* Should possess strong leadership, training, problem solving, and decision making skills
* Should have strong oral and written communication skills
* Demonstrated organizational, communication, research and analytical skills.
* Experience and/or familiarity with OHSAS 18001 & ISO 14001
* Sufficient computer literacy to include MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint and use of plant specific software systems.
* Ability to prioritize effectively
* Experience managing a Process Safety Management (PSM) Program
* Holds or is working toward appropriate professional designation.
* Fifteen years experience in environmental, health, & Safety field.
* Experience managing a budget that varies by size of site and/or site location(s)
Pinnacle's portfolio of iconic brands has touched the lives of consumers for more than 150 years. The admirable stories of the innovators behind each brand inspire us to continually renovate and innovate our products to keep them in sync with the needs of today's consumers. Here's how our great brands got their start.